Some studies show that indoor air pollution is just as deadly as outdoor air pollution. Under specific conditions, indoor air could be two to five times more polluted than outdoor air and might hurt your health. Residents of Gallatin, TN, who spend most of their time indoors should know the following about indoor air pollution.
Symptoms of Poor Indoor Air Quality
The effects of indoor air contaminants range from short-term symptoms that go away as soon as you get some fresh air, like coughing, to long-term health complications that lead to severe illnesses, like worsening asthma. Below are some of the health hazards of poor indoor air quality:
- Coughing, wheezing or deteriorating asthma
- Headaches, dizziness and fatigue
- Nasal congestion with a running nose or inflammation of the nose
- Chronic lung disease
- Sore throat or other muscle pain
- Nausea or vomiting
What to Do About the Symptoms
Some individuals are more vulnerable than others, so not all the symptoms will affect your family members to the same extent. As the air quality inside your home worsens and the length of exposure doubles, however, pollutants affect more people, and the symptoms become more severe.
Therefore, it is vital that you take immediate action as soon as you begin to suspect that the indoor air quality in your household poses a health risk. To find a quick and effective solution to the problem, make sure you call HVAC maintenance technicians.
What Causes Indoor Air Pollution in Your Household?
When you are familiar with the most common air pollutants and their health hazards, you will get a clear idea of how important it is to find efficient ways to control the sources of indoor air pollution. The level of concentration of pollutants in your home may increase for the following reasons:
- Combustion that produces nitrogen dioxide or carbon monoxide
- Insufficient ventilation or increased humidity
- Occupants’ activities, i.e., aromatizing, deodorizing, cleaning, smoking and working with chemicals
- Building materials like formaldehyde and asbestos materials
- Furnishings, dust and debris
- Biological contaminants, i.e. ozone and radioactive gases
Why Professional Solutions Are Recommended
From toxic combustion to biological contaminants, air quality issues are common. That’s why you need a specialist to provide you with expert air quality management. Skilled professionals will offer their expertise to help you install effective filtration systems.
If you have air quality issues in your Gallatin, TN, home, don’t wait to contact Derryberry’s Heat & Air. We’ll help you choose the right filtration system to help purify your air.
Image provided by iStock